Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Character(s)

Every story requires that its audience learn the cast of characters. Most writing experts would recommend limiting the supporting characters in the story to no more than 15-20 individuals, with roughly 5-7 main characters.

I saw something once that said that everyone has a story, that every life is a story. That being true, consider the cast of characters in your own story. Those of you that participate in social networking on the internet likely have a bit more than 15-20 people who are characters in your story. For some people, the number of main and supporting characters in their story would easily fit writing guidelines. For others, such as those who come from large families, 15-20 characters may just be the "characters" you've grown up with. :-)

Now, this blog has been dredged up and dusted off to serve as a form of a scrapbook for the lives of the characters in the Chancellor family. Being the author of this blog, I could share snapshots of each character, but I figure I'd best get their permission before opening the pages of the scrapbook for display. Some have public blogs, some use their real names on said blogs, and some like to have a bit more privacy. I'd like to respect that, and may need to dream up pseudonyms for those wanting a little more privacy... protecting the not-so-innocent and all that, you know. :-)

For now, I will give a brief introduction to the family, and allow them to let me know if they'd like to fly incognito or be on public display.

The family consists of:

Mom/Dad (aka Grandma and Grandpa)

Eight living sons (5 of whom are married, or will be by Labor Day)
Five daughters (3 of whom are married)
Two sons who passed on in infancy

The children's ages range from (in 2011) 37 to 16.

Nine grandchildren (the oldest of whom was added by marriage, eight others added by birth)

That means, at immediate-family gatherings, there are 32 people present if all living family members are there.

Life is interesting, busy, and most usually, fun with this group. There is definitely NEVER a dull moment.

We'll see if this scrapbook takes off like I hope it might, or if (like some scrapbooking endeavors) languishes in dusty piles in a virtual cluttered craft room someplace on the web. ;-)


No comments: